Kappa Alpha Psi, Fraternity, Inc.
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. is a historically black, Greek-lettered fraternity now comprised of functioning Undergraduate and Alumni Chapters on major campuses and in cities throughout the country. It is the beautiful realization of a vision shared commonly by the late Revered Founders Elder Watson Diggs; Ezra D. Alexander; Byron K. Armstrong; Henry T. Asher; Marcus P. Blakemore; Paul W. Caine; George W. Edmonds; Guy Levis Grant; Edward G. Irvin; John Milton Lee.
It was the vision of these astute men that enabled them on the night of January 5, 1911, on the campus of Indiana University at Bloomington, Indiana, to sow the seed of a fraternal tree whose fruit is available to, and now enjoyed by, college men everywhere, regardless of their color, religion or national origin. The fraternity Kappa Alpha Psi was established to provide an alternative to the racially exclusive student organizations on campus and partly to strengthen the bonds of friendship among these and other African American students. The fundamental purpose of Kappa Alpha Psi is to encourage honorable achievement in every field of human endeavor.
It was chartered and incorporated originally under the laws of the State of Indiana as Kappa Alpha Nu on May 15, 1911, the name was changed to Kappa Alpha Psi on a resolution offered and adopted at the Grand Chapter in December 1914. This change became effective April 15, 1915, on a proclamation by the then Grand Polemarch, Elder Watson Diggs. Thus, the name acquired a distinctive Greek letter symbol and Kappa Alpha Psi thereby became a Greek letter Fraternity in every sense of the designation.